CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, June 26, 2009

and as the world mourns....

It's one of those times when you realize how much you need the people you care about, and who care about you.

Michael Jackson's passing was, to say the least, a total and complete shock to most. But as was pointed out to me, he was never in the best of health, and rumor has it that he only ate once a day, consuming minimal calories in order to keep his weight down.

This week, the entertainment world lost three icons. And wives lost husbands, children lost parents, parents lost a child....it happens daily but we don't hear about the tragedy of it all because 99% of them aren't famous. It doesn't make their deaths any less important. And just because the world feels that entertainers belong to the public doesn't mean that they do. They still have families, friends and private lives.

I honestly hope that people respect that fact and allow those closest to mourn their own way, in their own places, without being under a microscope. For a much better tribute than I could ever produce, please go have a seat on the Couch and check out Vinny's amazing post about Michael.

This was passed on to me this morning, and rather than pass it on to all my women friends, and clutter up your inboxes, I decided to post it here, to also share it with those that visit.

To all the men in my life, this isn't to say that we don't appreciate you, and all you do for us. But sometimes, a girl just needs her sisters.



You may have seen this before, if so enjoy, if not, enjoy! How true it is. Each of you, for your own reasons are important to me and I appreciate and value your friendship and support.


A young wife sat on a sofa on a hot humid day, drinking iced tea and visiting with her mother. As they talked about life, about marrriage, about the responsibilities of life and the obligations of adulthood, the mother clinked the ice cubes in her glass thoughtfully and turned a clear, sober glance upon her daughter..

'Don't forget your sisters,' she advised, swirling the tea leaves to the bottom of her glass. 'They'll be more important as you get older. No matter how much you love your husband, no matter how much you love the children you may have, you are still going to need sisters. Remember to go places with them now and then; do things with them..'

'Remember that 'sisters' means ALL the women...your girlfriends, your daughters, and all your other women relatives too. 'You'll need other women. Women always do.'

' What a funny piece of advice!' the young woman thought. Haven't I just gotten married? Haven't I just joined the couple-world? I'm now a married woman, for goodness sake! A grownup! Surely my husband and the family we may start will be all I need to make my life worthwhile!'

But she listened to her mother. She kept contact with her sisters and made more women friends each year. As the years tumbled by, one after another, she gradually came to understand that her mother really knew what she was talking about. As time and nature work their changes and their mysteries upon a woman, sisters are the mainstays of her life..

After more than 50 years of living in this world, here is what I've learned:

THIS SAYS IT ALL:
Time passes.
Life happens.
Distance separates.
Children grow up.
Jobs come and go.
Love waxes and wanes.
Men don't do what they're supposed to do.
Hearts break.
Parents die.
Colleagues forget favors.
Careers end.

BUT.........

Sisters are there, no matter how much time and how many miles are between you. A girl friend is never farther away than needing her can reach.

When you have to walk that lonesome valley and you have to walk it by yourself, the women in your life will be on the valley's rim, cheering you on, praying for you, pulling for you, intervening on your behalf, and waiting with open arms at the valley's end..

Sometimes, they will even break the rules and walk beside you...Or come in and carry you out.

Girlfriends, daughters, granddaughters, daughters-in-law, sisters, sisters-in-law, Mothers, Grandmothers, aunties, nieces, cousins, and extended family: all bless our life!

The world wouldn't be the same without women, and neither would I. When we began this adventure called womanhood, we had no idea of the incredible joys or sorrows that lay ahead. Nor did we know how much we would need each other..



Y'all know who you are. I can't thank you enough for being my sisters.





Stay sane inside insanity ~ and never forget your towel.

3 comments:

Meribah said...

When I first read about MJ's death, I thought it was a joke, or that the journalist was being overly dramatic to bring in more readers. Unfortunately, neither was the case.
Anyway, I count myself fortunate to have "sisters" like you and the other peeps who form our little circle. Hugs.

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

I also did a post on those who also passed this week who the news seemed to forget...

Nice post Ms. Angell

BeckEye said...

I can't talk about Michael Jackson anymore.

So....happy birthday!! (A little Bond, er, Bird told me.)

Photobucket



With love and pride